Monday, June 15, 2009

I'm sore and I'm walking funny

I went to the gym at my work for the first time this morning. I woke just a little before 5:30 am (which was very difficult as Jack started waking up every hour starting at about 2:30, and so I was up three or four times before my alarm). Once I was out the door, being up that early wasn't too bad. I decided to just do the treadmill today and probably will for a while as cardio seems to be what works best for me and changes my body the quickest. I walked at a 4.0 mph pace for 15 minutes, jogged for 12 minutes at 6.0 mph, and did a slow jog at 5.0 mph for 18 minutes, for a total time of 45 minutes and total distance of 3.4 miles and am now paying for it as I am sore and walking funny. It wasn't that much fun and minutes after I started walking I already had a side stitch. I mean really, I have to be pretty out of shape to have a side stitch after only a couple of minutes. But, I learned a trick a while back to get rid of these; breath in through your nose and every time you exhale, pull your stomach in pretty tight. For some reason, if you do this for at least a minute or so, it seems to help. At least it does for me. And, it gives your tummy a little bit of a workout too.

The only fun part of the workout (besides the end of it) was that I got to listen to some new music on my ipod. But what wasn't good was the reason I was listening to new music. On Saturday, I went to download a few songs and somehow managed to delete my entire music library (...tear...). I pressed a button (which did not say press this and you will lose everything) and lost everything. I tried to look in every location on my computer to see if I could find the music that I previously had on it and could not find it (proof as to why I should back this stuff up). I was totally bummed. I had a lot on there from over the years, and it was wiped out. So, I went download crazy and put a bunch of new music on my ipod. Not good for my pocketbook, but it was great to have some new songs on there to motivate me while I am working out.

I stepped on the scale after the workout, and while I will not post the weight here (I like to keep that between me, myself and I), it looks like I really only have about 5 lbs to lose to be back to my pre-pregnancy weight (and really, I am not sure if I should expect to get back down to that). That's not too bad.

One issue that I have when working out is that I get beat red. I mean, as in fire red. Today was no different. If people were watching me, I think they would have probably thought I was going to explode. The redness lasts even after I have taken a shower and put on my makeup. I had to blast the air conditioning in my car for the couple of minutes it took to drive from the gym to work. That helped some and at least I did not look like a tomato. Does anybody else experience this? If so, do you know any tricks to get rid of the redness?

No comments: