Wednesday, May 27, 2009

John and Kate Plus 8 Debate



I watched the season premiere of John and Kate Plus 8 the other night. Even before the tabloid hoopla, it was easy to see that this couple was in trouble. Go back through the past couple of seasons and you can recognize it. I don’t watch every episode, but I remember I was over my mom’s during an episode last season and I told her (and this is before the alleged affairs) that you can tell that they don’t like each other. You could see it in their body language. They stopped sitting close together during the interviews and literally looked like they were trying to be as far on the other end of the couch from each other as they possibly could be. They would roll their eyes at each other. They barely smiled. So, it’s not shocking that they are having problems. What I was sad about when watching the show was thinking about how the kids are going to be affected by all of this. Is anyone out there with me that the worst part of all of the craziness surrounding them right now is that there are kids involved and nobody seems to care? Certainly the paparazzi (the p-people as Kate tells her kids to call them) don’t care. It seems to me that the producers are not really thinking about the children in this either because if they were, they should have probably stopped filming for now or all together to give the family time to either get back on track or figure out what they are going to do, without cameras rolling and the pressure that comes along with that. Now, I guess I cannot say too much, as I watched (as apparently 10 million other people did – their highest ratings yet), and that’s what they want. Maybe if all of us stopped watching, they could end/postpone the show and move on. I just hope that John and Kate don’t continue to do the show if/when this really starts affecting their kids. The money and fame are not worth it. But who knows…some people care more about those things. In my opinion, John and Kate need to think long and hard about continuing this show as it would be a shame if their kids suffer.

No comments: