Sunday, June 21, 2009

Some of Jack's Firsts

Well, there's a reason they call it Hotlanta. It was darn hot this weekend and so we decided it would be a perfect time to get Jack into the baby pool I bought him a couple of weeks ago. We went over to my moms house so that she could see his first time too. Jack looked so cute in his little surfer shorts with his big belly hanging out!


By the way, it was Father's Day. Jack, you have the greatest father in the world!

Jack got used to the water pretty fast. He's always done well with baths, so I figured he would probably be ok, but you never know if babies are going to start screaming when you put them in water.


Look at those baby rolls...CUTE!!!









I'm glad that Jack seemed to like the water and have fun. I should have bought some water toys for him to play with in there, although he can't quite sit fully unassisted yet and those will probably be more useful then.


A couple of weeks ago, we gave Jack rice cereal for the first time. Now, I'm not sure if any of you other mothers have tasted this before giving it to your child, but I'm surprised Jack did not call social services on us for making him eat this stuff. It tastes like wallpaper paste mixed with metal particles. It's absolutely gross and Jack agrees:






Needless to say, I couldn't keep the rice cereal in his mouth for too long. Why do the manufacturers of rice cereal or doctors even recommend it if its not going to go down the babies throat??? I assume that it's easiest on their stomachs and so that is why you should start off with that, but my child is clearly not pleased with it!
After a few rice cereal feedings, I decided that I wanted to try something that Jack actually might eat. My husband and I decided that we wanted to start Jack on a few different vegetables before starting him on fruits in hopes that it might allow him to get used to liking vegetables before giving him something sweeter. So we chose squash, which apparently, is actually a fruit (stupid us), but used more like a vegetable because they are not sweet. I have always thought of squash as a vegetable though, so I am going to keep on thinking that.
Here's the first attempt:


"Mommy, if this tastes anything like what you have given me so far, I'm going to be really upset"...

"What the heck...I'm going to vomit"...

"Why do you all hate me so much???"...
So clearly, I thought that he didn't like it. It was written all over his face. He was mad, so we then fed him his bottle and decided to try again afterwards. Well, after the bottle, look what happened...







He actually liked it and wanted to keep eating it! I guess I made the mistake of trying to feed him the new food before his bottle and he just wanted the bottle first. It went fine after the bottle. Yay! I'm so happy that he likes squash. That's my boy!

1 comment:

Consuelo? said...

he is cute, congrats momma