Thursday, June 4, 2009

Tis the Season

It's BBQ season and we are having a BBQ this Saturday that's also going to be Jack's coming out party (and I don't mean that kind of coming out...that would be much later in life). Yes, even though he is already four and a half months old, we are just now getting friends together to celebrate his birth. Many have not met Jack yet. We figured we would wait a while to do this so that we could get used to being parents and get past the really hard and exhausting baby stage before having a bunch of people over. I still am perplexed that I decided to go along with this. I don't have the time to have a lot of people over. It requires a lot of cleaning, and cooking, and messing with Jack's schedule. What was I thinking??? Anyway, I wanted to post two of the dips that I always make for any BBQ or party that I throw and that I bring when I am a guest. They are both no bake, super easy to make, and so so yummy! I will try and remember to post pictures of them after I make them for this weekend.

Bean Dip (I got this recipe from my friend Sara. She used to make it for any party at her house. It's famous in that neck of the woods):
  1. Put a large can of refried beans on the bottom of a platter
  2. Mix together a container of sour cream and a taco seasoning packet. Spread that mixture on top of the refried beans
  3. Spread a container of guacamole (16 oz if you make your own from avocados) on top of the sour cream/taco seasoning mixture
  4. Over that, spread a cup of shredded cheddar cheese
  5. Chop two tomatoes and some green onions and sprinkle those on top

Let this chill in the refrigerator overnight.

I do not make my own guacamole and instead buy a store bought container to save time. I also buy the pre-chopped tomato/pepper/onion mixture instead of chopping full veggies as I like convenience, and pre-made makes everything easier!

Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Dip

A woman (do not remember her name) who used to always go to parties of my husband's friend would always bring this chocolate cheesecake dip. I would ask her for the recipe every time, not write it down, and forget exactly what was in it. I found one on the Internet though that ended up tasting pretty similar (and I just added a couple of things) and it's the one I use:

  1. 1 cup (tub) of soft cream cheese
  2. 1/4 cup whipping cream
  3. 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
  4. 1/8 cup dark brown sugar
  5. 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  6. 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
  7. 1 tsp margarine
  8. A few pinches of confectioners sugar

Cream the cream cheese and the whipping cream together in a big bowl. Add the vanilla and mix. Add the brown sugar, cinnamon, margarine, confectioners sugar and mix. Fold in/mix in the mini chocolate chips.

I take a large piece of plastic wrap and lay that down on the counter. Then I spoon the mixture into the middle of that and wrap the plastic around it and shape it into a ball. Chill overnight. I use chocolate graham crackers for dipping. It's fantastic and everyone loves it.

I am also going to make some great cheesecake bars for this weekend. I am looking forward to all of the yummy goodness!!!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!



No comments: